Did you know you could be unwillingly revealing your location via geotagging in photos you upload with social media applications?
AVG’s Michael McKinnon walks you through some things to be aware of when it comes to geotagging.
Did you know:
- Photos can contain location information stored in metadata (EXIF data) within the image itself.
- Location data can be automatically applied to your GPS enabled smartphone photos.
- The location data usually includes the precise GPS co-ordinates of where the photo was taken, as well as the time and date it was captured.
Here are some ways to protect your privacy when it comes to geotagging on your mobiles device:
- Disable location services on your mobile devices.
- Remove EXIF data from images before uploading to social media networks or file sharing sites.
- Be aware of location options in apps or online services and social media.
Stay safe out there.
October 6, 2015