If you need to protect sensitive files or documents on your PC, you’re going to want an extra layer of security. AVG’s Data Safe feature can help.
Data Safe encrypts and stores your valuable documents, pictures or any other files onto a password-protected virtual disk on your PC. You can move files into your Data Safe and open them just like any other disk.
The contents of your AVG Data Safe are protected using AES 256-bit encryption. Once the Data Safe is locked it needs a password to be opened, without the password it’s not possible to access the contents—so your documents will remain protected.
AVG Data Safe is available in:
- AVG Internet Security and AVG Protection PRO
You can create multiple Data Safes and change their size as needed.
- AVG AntiVirus
You can create one Data Safe with a fixed size.
How to create a Data Safe
- Open AVG.
- In the AVG interface, click the Computer tab
- On the Data Safe tab, click Create Safe.
- Create a name for the Safe
- Fill in the Password twice—for verification. Make it strong and memorable.
- Fill in the Password hint. Remember: If you forget your password you will not be able to access your files!
- Click Next.
- Select a Location and the Size of the vault, review the other options.
- When you’re happy with your choices, click Create Safe.
Once the Safe has been created, click the Open Now button. If the safe isn’t already unlocked, fill in your password to unlock the safe for the first time. The safe will now be accessible via the selected drive letter in Windows Explorer.
How to lock your Data Safe
- Open AVG.
- In the AVG interface, click the Computer tab, and then click Manage your Safes.
- Click the Unlocked slider next to the safe you want to lock. The status will change from unlocked to locked, and the Data Safe virtual drive will be disabled.
If you want to try AVG’s Data Safe feature for yourself, download a 30-day trial of AVG Internet Security. If you have multiple PCs and devices, you can protect and mange them all with AVG Protection PRO.
October 16, 2015